The Rockenhausen New Music Festival has set itself the goal of providing new impetus and enabling the people of the region to participate in cultural diversity while at the same time strengthening the perception of the creative potential of rural areas. The festival has opened up new spaces for artistic performances and inspiring encounters with each other and with new audience groups for the protagonists of contemporary music.
The goals were extensively achieved, in detail even, despite the unusual starting position, far exceeded, among others:
– carry current cultural discourses to rural areas using the example of contemporary music
– Enable participation in cultural diversity
– Offer excellence and internationality
– Strengthen the identity of the city of Rockenhausen as a “cultural hotspot”.
– focus on the special feature of the carillon (playable, large glockenspiel) as a public instrument with barrier-free access for all people
– Presentation of musical masterpieces of the 20th century
– Develop and perform projects for students and young people
– offer a platform for the artistic talents of the region
During the 2021 festival there were very unusual musical moments, the uniqueness of which was felt by both the musicians and the audience.
The close exchange with the well-known festivals for new music, in particular with Milano Musica in Milan and the Donaueschinger Musiktage, was continued, and planning for further joint projects was started.
Project sponsor: City of Rockenhausen and Society for Culture and Social Affairs, Donnersberg eV
Realization and conception: Dr. Lydia Thorn Wickert
Funding year: 2021
Project no.: 64e-21 si